Prophylaxis in Petaluma, CA
A deep cleaning of the teeth, called prophylaxis cleaning, is often done during routine dental visits. These routine visits should occur every six months as recommended by the American Dental Association, or ADA. The dental cleaning provided by the team is a thorough cleaning that removes plaque, calculus, and tartar from the surfaces of the teeth and gums. This is a deeper cleaning than can be achieved by a patient at home with brushing and flossing. At the same time, this appointment at North Bay Smiles Dr. Szyperski’s in Petaluma, California allows the dental staff to evaluate the health of the smile and look for signs that may indicate a forming cavity or the development of periodontal disease.
What happens during Prophylaxis cleaning?
Below are the primary steps involved in a deep cleaning of the teeth by our team at North Bay Smiles:
- Supragingival cleaning – cleaning the teeth and gums visible above the gumline with scaling tools
- Subgingival cleaning – cleaning the teeth and gum pockets beneath the gum line, which is especially helpful for patients who have been diagnosed with periodontitis
- Root planing – removal of bacteria around the tooth root if periodontal disease is present
- Medication – antibiotics or antimicrobial creams may be used to prevent or treat bacteria in the mouth
- X-rays and examination – after the cleaning has been performed by our dental hygienist, a series of x-rays may be taken as well as a full examination by Dr. Yvonne Szyperski.
It is recommended that patients visit the dentist for a cleaning and examination twice a year to achieve and maintain good oral health. This is in conjunction with daily oral health care habits such as brushing and flossing of the teeth and gums after every meal.
Are you overdue for Prophylaxis cleaning?
If you have not seen a dentist for more than six months, it is time to book an appointment for a deep cleaning of the teeth with the team at North Bay Smiles! Dr. Yvonne Szyperski and her team in Petaluma, California encourage new patients to book an appointment at the office by calling (707) 306-8001. Her facility is conveniently located at 1580 East Washington Street, Suite #101.