Fluoride treatment for cavity prevention in Petaluma, CA
At North Bay Smiles, helping families in the Petaluma, CA area achieve and maintain optimal oral health is our top priority. We provide a wide array of preventive services designed to help keep your family’s smiles disease- and cavity-free, including fluoride treatment.
Benefits of fluoride for your smile
Fluoride is one of the most effective agents that we have available to help prevent issues such as cavities and tooth decay. It is a mineral that works by strengthening the tooth enamel so it is more resistant to decay from plaque and bacteria. Fluoride treatment for cavity prevention can be used in two ways—topical or systemic:
- Topical treatments are designed to strengthen teeth that have already erupted and may consist of toothpaste, mouthwashes, or gels that contain fluoride. Dr. Szyperski may recommend professional-strength topical fluoride treatment for kids and adults up to twice per year to strengthen and protect teeth.
- Systemic fluoride treatments protect both the teeth that have erupted, as well as those that are still developing beneath the gumline. Most community water supplies contain some fluoride, as well as fluoride that naturally exists in foods. We can also prescribe your child a systemic fluoride treatment for cavity prevention in gel or drop form, which can be beneficial for tooth development but requires close supervision to ensure that the proper amount is ingested.
Reasons fluoride might be recommended
Fluoride treatments are a great, economical way to prevent cavities, and may be recommended if you or your child has one or more of the following:
- A history of tooth decay
- Deep grooves or pits on the teeth chewing surfaces, where debris and plaque are harder to eliminate
- Inadequate saliva production (typically due to certain medications or medical conditions)
- Recessed gums or exposed tooth roots
- Inadequate systemic fluoride exposure
- Insufficient oral hygiene habits to maintain healthy teeth and gums
Comprehensive oral hygiene care
Fluoride treatment alone cannot prevent tooth decay. However, combined with brushing twice per day, flossing daily, a healthy diet, and routine visits to the dentist for cleanings and check-ups, fluoride can be a great way to help keep your family’s smiles healthy and disease-free. To schedule an appointment for you or your child, call North Bay Smiles at (707) 763-4122. Our office serves patients in the Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Santa Rosa, Novato, and neighboring areas and we look forward to seeing your family’s healthy smiles!