Endodontic Treatment Petaluma, CA
When a deep cavity or serious infection occurs to a natural tooth, patients may have a severe toothache that requires diagnosis and treatment. In many instances, patients with this problem may be in need of root canal therapy. Root canal therapy, or endodontic treatment, is often performed to not only treat the problem but maintain the natural tooth in place within the smile. It is typically best to keep natural teeth in place whenever possible, and root canal therapy allows this to happen.
What happens during endodontic treatment in Petaluma, CA?
The endodontic procedure is relatively simple. The steps performed by Dr. Yvonne Szyperski of North Bay Smiles include:
- Evaluation. A diagnosis of a problem that can be resolved with root canal therapy involves the use of X-rays and a physical examination to determine if the treatment will help restore the patient’s oral health.
- Sedation and anesthetics. Patients will want to be comfortable during their treatment, so we offer two types of sedation and various aesthetics to ensure this.
- Access. Dr. Yvonne Szyperski then needs to access the inner canals within the tooth. This is done by drilling a small hole in the natural tooth enamel.
- Removal of the dental pulp. The mass of tissues within the tooth, known as the dental pulp, is removed through the small access point.
- Disinfection. After the dentist has removed the dental pulp, the inner canals are completely disinfected to remove any bacteria that can contribute to infection.
- Filling. The canals are filled with a material known as gutta-percha. It is a rubber-like material that fills the space left behind and helps seal off the tooth to keep bacteria out. The dentist may also seal the tooth over the crown with composite resin bonding, which is tooth-colored and blends with the smile.
- Crown. In some instances, our team may recommend the fabrication and placement of a dental crown as well to cover the tooth and strengthen it.
Looking for an endodontist “near me?”
Call (707) 306-8001 to request a consultation visit with Dr. Yvonne Szyperski to determine if you are in need of root canal therapy. Her facility, located in Suite 101 at 1580 East Washington Street, is open to new and existing patients in the Petaluma, California area and beyond!